The Uttana Shishosana or the extended puppy pose is nothing but one of the most easiest and basic poses in yoga. The word Uttana Shishosana has a very intense meaning and is uttana means “intense” shisho means “puppy” and asana means “posture”.This is one of the finest yoga poses when it comes to beginners. Beginners can practice this pose from the very first day and the risk involved here are very less. This pose is the combination of two poses the child pose and the downward-facing dog pose. Exercise on various parts of the body is involved when this pose is done and thus this pose however simple it may be is very much beneficial for the body. This poses helps release stress in so many ways and is best for people involved in the desk job program. Thus let us see the facts and points that one must know about the Uttana Shishosana.
Many best yoga school in Rishikesh teach this yoga asana in their advanced 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh.
Steps to perform Uttana Shishosana-
The most important part of this pose is that there are three preparatory poses that one needs to do and they are:- (a) trilnasana, (b) balasana, (c) vajrasana. As one prepare in all the three poses, one need to follow the steps that are written below:-
- First, take a yoga mat and lie on your stomach on the mat.
- The next step is to lay the hands in front of your head on the ground.
- The face here should be in between both your hands on the ground.
- The hands should be stretched as much as possible and the knees should be on the ground.
- Next, slowly fold the knees with the hands remaining in the same position.
- Keep your body relaxed at this stage
- Next, fold the knees and keep breathing slowly with the hands stretched as much as possible.
- Here the hip will now be stretched towards the roof with the hands and the legs remaining in the same position.
- Be in this position fo0r some time for about 2-3 minutes and relax by taking deep breaths.
- Now slowly come down from here.
Thus these are the steps that will help you perform the Uttana Shishosana perfectly. All you need to do is follow each of the steps carefully. If you feel that 2-3 minutes is too much then you can also do the same thing for less time.
Due to pandemic, many yoga centres are offering their course online and we strong recommend you to check out this best online yoga teacher training course.
Benefits of Uttana Shishosana-
All types of yoga asana have their benefit and so does this one. There are plenty of benefits of this simple pose as well. Let’s see what those benefits are.
- Improves the shape of the lower portion of the body. Works on the hip area and helps in trimming and toning it giving it a proper shape and structure.
- The asana also works in making the lower portion of the body strong as well as flexible. With immense movement down there the body becomes flexible and strong. The constant bend and comeback have a positive effect there.
- Helps in treating all types o problems in there. The lower portion of the body is the exact area where the main positive effect takes place.
- Helps in getting relief from indigestion and problems like constipation. If you suffer from irregular excretion then doing this pose or asana will help you a lot.
- Helpful in massaging the abdominal muscles.
- The blood flow in the entire body is fastened and this I very helpful for the entire body.
- The blood flow in the upper part of the body helps in stopping early aging.
- Increases memory and develops focus.
- The pumping of the heart is improved and the heart works pretty well also.
- The spine and the back area flex a lot.
- Reduces mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, stress, etc.
Precautions of Uttana Shishosana-
One of the most important parts is the precautions. Everyone must know at least the precautions before even imagining trying out any form of exercise. The precautions are as simple as the asana and the pose and they are listed below as follows:-
- Women who are pregnant or are suffering from acute menstruation are advised not to perform the asana as it might be harmful to the baby and the mother. The main area where the asana works are the abdomen thus it is advised not to practice it.
- The asana is an absolute no if one is suffering from piles. Thus can be harmful and more blood flow during execration may take place if it is practiced. People having pies are advised to take consult a doctor before performing.
- If you are having a hip injury or back pain kindly avoid it. Verify your body status and if and only if it can take the pressure go ahead with it.
- If you have a knee injury then also avoid it.
- The pose must be performed very slowly and with care to avoid any sort of injury. Hurry might cause an accident which may be harmful.
Thus these are some of the precautions that one must take depending upon the body condition.